Sunday, February 20, 2011

Fitting the pieces together

As I have moved through the assignments, resources, and reflections of this course, I have come to the conclusion that learning styles and strategies play a much bigger part in how we actually learn than I originally thought.  I hadn't ever really considered how knowledge was transferred, or the role of memory in various learning theories and situations.  My view on how I learn has not really changed.  I am a learner that learns best intrinsically, on my own or by using my connections.  My best strategy is to learn visually, followed closely by actually participating in the learning activity.  Apparently, I am a strange mix of connectivism and constructivism as far as learning theories go!  I do find that I am heavily dependent on technology to find information.  This is in part, I am sure, due to the fact that I am unable to function at full capacity in a face to face social situation.  However, in a virtual world, I am not constrained by the social anxieties and fears that usually plague me in a brick and mortar world.  Creation of projects, displays of information, and organization of data are all made far easier by use of the computer.  This serves to bring home the fact that someone had to design the technological tools I now take for granted, and that I need to consider my user/learner when I in turn design a tool for use technologically.  In developing the learning theory matrix, in addition to our own course resources, I discovered some pretty valuable information at the following websites:

I suppose the old adage my grandfather always said really is true, the only way to keep young is to continue learning in keeping with the times!

No comments:

Post a Comment